I, Melissa Crabtree, and by extension my company, An Actor Plans, believe in the following:
- That the Arts are a powerful way to create shared experiences and create connection.
- That we must all work to create and hold accountable other artists in building an equitable theatre industry from small community theatres to the largest of Broadway stages.
- That Black Lives Matter.
- That the LGTBQ+ Community should be valued, treasured, and loved.
- That I have benefited from my white privilege and my being a cis-gender heterosexual female, in ways that I had never comprehended.
I am pledging to be:
- a Champion for the Arts
- Creating products that inspire, create joy and bring awareness to the theatre community by a member of the professional community.
- Lending my influence to promoting stories and productions through my creation of fan art.
- I will be publicly accountable in doing my part to make Broadway and the larger theatrical industry an anti-racist, equitable community.
- Using my voice to keep Broadway and the larger theatrical industry accountable to their pledge of becoming an anti-racist, equitable community.
- Actively Anti-Racist
- Committing to the long term work; to identifying and addressing racism, making necessary policy changes, building equitable and inclusive workplaces both online and in-person, onstage and off, and remaining accountable.
- Spending our business dollars only with companies who stand behind the BLM movement.
- Ending any partnerships with companies that don’t acknowledge and support the BLM movement.
- Using our influence and platform to celebrate Black and POC creators.
- Continuing to create products that only shine focus on productions and companies that are creating stories without problematic themes or tropes.
- Committing to spending 30% of our business dollars in the Black community: whether in hiring, content creating, suppliers, or advertising.
- Creating a monthly sticker collection solely to raise money for various organizations that tie into our business - with monthly donation check ins.
- Currently supporting, Broadway Advocacy Collision, The Actors Fund, and The Trevor Project.
- When assembling a PR team, actively seeking out members of the Black & POC planner community to apply, with the goal of creating an equitable team of brand ambassadors.
- Compostable and Recyclable packaging
- When plastic is the only option, being 100% reused plastic.
- Reduce waste in making products.
- Continually looking to reduce our carbon footprint across all parts of production.